Dr. Graeme Brazenor
F.R.A.C.S., M.B., B.S., B. MED SCI
1. Medical Course: 1966-72 (B.Med.Sci. 1970)
- Ramsay Surgical Prize for Zoology –
- David S. Rosenthal Prize –1968
- Prince Henry Honoraries' Prize –1972
- Sophie Davis Memorial Prize –1972
- Graduated first in year, (1972) with Class I Honours
2. Bachelor of Medical Science Degree - 1970
- Class I Honours, Pathology
3. Hospital Training
– Intern, Prince Henry's Hospital, Melbourne
– Surgical Resident, Alfred Hospital, Melbourne
– Surgical Registrar, Alfred Hospital
– Neurosurgical Registrar, St. Vincent's Hospital, Melbourne
4. F.R.A.C.S. Examinations
- Part I
– November 1974
- Part II
– May 1979
5. Scientific Publications
- A Micromethod for Membrane Immunofluorescence.
Brazenor, G.A., and Davies, D.J.
J. Immun. Methods 2: 325-328, 1973
- Detection by Membrane Immunofluorescence of Isoantibodies During Rejection of Skin Allografts.
Brazenor, G. A., and Davies, D.J.
Clin. Exp. Immunol. 15: 303-307, 1973
- The Effect of Vitamin A on the Immunosuppressive Action of Cortisone on Skin Homografts in Mice.
Brazenor G. A., and Stephens, F.O.
Aust. N.Z. J. Surg. 42(3): 314-317, 1973
- Achievement Levels and Mental Health in Medical Students: A Monash University Study.
Brazenor, G.A. and Masterton, J.P.
Medical Education 14:350-355, 1980
- Australian Army Manual of Land Warfare(Part 2: Medical and Dental Training
Volume 3. Pamphlet # 2):
Field Surgery Handbook, 1985.
Contributor to chapter on Head Injuries
- Scott: An Aid to Clinical Surgery - 4th & 5th Editions
Dudley, H.A.F. and Waxman, B., Eds.
Churchill Livingstone, 1988 edition and 1996 revision
Chapter 8 : Brain Injuries.
Chapter 16 : Scalp and Intracranial Conditions
- Medicine and Surgery for Lawyers - 1st & 2nd Editions
Buzzard, A. J., Hughes, Sir E., et al., Eds.
The Law Book Company Ltd, 1986 edition and 1996 revision.
Chapter 1: Head Injury
- Long-term Intrathecal Administration of Morphine: A Comparison of Bolus Administration via Reservoir, with Continuous Infusion by Implanted Pump.
Neurosurgery 21(4):484-491, 1987
- Manipulative therapy debate (letter).
Brazenor G. A.
Australian Family Physician:16(12): p1732, Dec 1987
- The radionuclide assessment of systems for slow intrathecal infusion of drugs. (Abstract)
Kalff, V., Brazenor, G., Rahmat, H., and Kelly, M.S.
J. Nucl. Med. 26: 269, 1987
- Timing of Surgery for Cerebral Aneurysms: A plea for early referral.
Dorsch, N.W.C., Besser, M., Brazenor, G.A., and Stuart, G.G.
Medical Journal of Australia 150: 183-188, 1989
- Intraventricular infusion of Dopamine in Parkinson's disease.
Horne M.K., Butler, E. G., Gilligan B.S., Wodak J., Stark R.J., Brazenor G.A.
Annals of Neurology. 26(6): 792-4, Dec. 1989
- The Radionuclide Assessment of a System for Slow Intrathecal Infusion of Drugs.
Hicks, R.S., Kalff, V., Brazenor, G., Rahmat, H. and Kelly, M.S.
Clin. Nucl. Med. 14: 271-5, 1989
- Systemic Hypovolemia after Subarachnoid Hemorrhage.
Brazenor, G. A., Chamberlain, M. J., and Gelb, A. W.
J. Neurosurg. Anesthes. 2(1): 42-49, 1990
- Comparison of Surgical outcome for Early and Late Aneurysm Operations.
Dorsch, N., Besser, M., Brazenor, G., and Stuart, G.
In: Intracranial Aneurysms and Arteriovenous Malformations.
Sugita, K., and Shiduya , M. Eds
Nagoya Uni Co-op Press 1990, pp 41-44
- Exemptions from wearing motorcycle helmets.
Brazenor GA, Dan NG, Simpson DA.
Med J Aust. 1992 Mar 2; 156(5):362
- Medical Certificates Exempting Motorcyclists from Wearing Helmets:an Australian Experience.
Simpson, D.A., Brazenor, G.A., Dan, N.G., McLean A.J.
J. Traffic Med (1992) Vol 20, No 4, pp 171-176
- Craniotomy and Thoracotomy for non-small cell carcinoma of the lung with cerebral metastasis.
Popovic, E.A., Fabinyi, G.C.A., Brazenor, G.A., Daniel, F., Clarke, C.P.
Aust. NZ. J. Surg. 1993, 63: p.p. 341-345
- Head injuries from road accidents - a diminishing problem?
Letter, MJA 158:433, 1993
- The Effectiveness of Bicyclist Helmets: A Study of 1710 Casualties.
McDermott, F. T., Lane, J. C., Brazenor, G. A., Debney, E. A.
J. Trauma 34: 834-844, 1993
- Epidural steroids in the management of low back pain and sciatica of spinal origin.
Bogduk N, Brazenor G, Christophides et al.
Report of the Working Party . Sydney: National Health and Medical Research Council 1993:102-6
- Concurrent Adjacent Meningioma and Astrocytoma: A Report of Three Cases and Review of the Literature.
Gavin A. Davis, Gavin C. A. Fabinyi, Renate M. Kalnins, Graeme A. Brazenor, Myron A. Rogers.
Neurosurgery, Vol 36, No 3, March 1995 p.p. 599-605
- Temporal lobectomy for epilepsy - complications in 200 patients.
Popovic, E.A., Fabinyi, G.C.A., Brazenor, G.A., Berkovic, S.F., Bladin, P.F.
J. Clin. Neuroscience 1995, Vol 2(3): pp 238-244
- Preoperative MRI predicts outcome of temporal lobectomy: An actuarial analysis.
Berkovic S.F. , Kalnins R.M., Jackson G.D., Fabinyi G.C.A., Brazenor G.A., Bladin, P.F, Hopper J.L.
Neurology 1995; 45: 1358-1363
- Perfusion patterns during temporal lobe seizures; relationship to surgical outcome.
Ho SS, Newton MR, McIntosh AM, Kalnins RM, Fabinyi GCA, Brazenor GA, McKay WJ, Bladin PF and Berkovic SF.
Brain (1997), 120:1921-1928
- The Major Trauma Management Study: An analysis of the efficacy of current trauma care.
Danne P, Brazenor G, Cade R, Crossley P, Fitzgerald M, Gregory P, Cowal D, Lovell L, Morley P, Smith M, Taylor R, and Walker S.
Australian & New Zealand Journal of Surgery 68 (1): 50-7, 1998
- Clinical Controversies: "In Favour of Lumbar Fusion."
Journal of Clinical Neuroscience: 7(1): 76-78, 2000
- Lumbar Spinal Stabilization (with Instrumentation).
In Operative Neurosurgery, pp 1889-1906
Eds: Kaye, A.H. & Black, P.McL.
Churchill Livingstone, 2000
- Comparison of multisegment anterior cervical fixation using bone stut graft versus a titanium rod and buttress prosthesis. Analysis of outcome with long-term followup and interview by independent physician.
Spine 2007:32(1); 63-71
- The effect of co-registration of Tc-99m HDP SPECT bone scan and diagnostic quality CT/MRI images on diagnosis and management of neurosurgical spinal patients.
Ballok Z, Brazenor G
J Nucl Med 2009; 50(Supp 2):88
6. Newspaper Publications
Dr. Brazenor served as consultant neurosurgeon and teacher in Victorian Public Hospitals from 1981 until 1997. In the 1990s he actively campaigned against governmental cuts to services and standards in Victorian Public Hospitals, some would say to the very real detriment to his career. The following articles give some idea of Dr. Brazenor's personal crusade during those years, ultimately culminating in the difficult decision to leave the public hospital scene, insofar as he had failed in his attempts to restore and maintain it. He has no regrets that he tried.
- "For some, private hospital cover is needed"
Letter to the Editor, The Age, 3/10/1986
- "WorkCare system is self-abusing"
Letter to the Editor, The Age, 25/7/1989
- "Call to sack top health officials"
Herald Sun, 13/12/1994
- "What of our grimy, desperate hospitals?"
Letter to the Editor, The Age, 20/3/1996
- "Angry surgeon plans to resign"
The Age 18/10/1996
- "Courage in Casualty: Doctors blowing the whistle on public hospital problems deserve our support"
Herald Sun, 9/7/1998
- "Health care that money can't buy"
(Quoted in Editorial) The Age, 29/7/1998
- "ALP out of touch on health woes"
The Age, Letter to the Editor, 24/11/1998
- "Premier right to prod Medicare debate"
Letter to the Editor, The Age, 7/1/1999
- "Death of a hospital"
Letter to the Editor, The Age, 20/2/1999
- "Medicare needs radical surgery"
Letter to the Editor, The Australian, 22/3/1999
- "Poor treatment of psychiatry"
Letter to the Editor, The Australian, 7/5/1999
- "Sick state of health funds"
Letter to the Editor, The Australian Financial Review, 18/8/1999
- "The guilty parties"
Letter to the Editor, The Age, 28/11/1999
- "No-gap payouts rise as doctors vent anger"
(Quoted in article) The Australian, 4/9/2000
- "Health funding: it's worse than we thought"
Letter to the Editor, The Age, 20/4/2002
7. 1982 Australian Churchill Fellowship, spent as Clinical Fellow, Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Clinical Neurological Sciences, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada. July 1981 - June 1982 inclusive.
8. Previous Positions Held
- Consultant Neurosurgeon, Motor Accidents Board of Victoria: December 1982 - May 1984
- Assistant Neurosurgeon, Alfred Hospital
Melbourne: 1982 - 1989
- Senior Lecturer, Monash University
Department of Surgery: 1982 - 1989
- Consultant Neurosurgeon
Head Injury Rehabilitation Unit
1984 - 1991
- Affiliate Neurosurgeon
1987 - 1992
- Neurosurgeon, Senior Medical Staff, Austin and Repatriation Hospitals
Melbourne: 1989 - 1997
- Affiliate, Melbourne University
Faculty of Medicine
Austin Clinical School
1989 - 1997
9. Membership of Professional Organisations
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons: Fellow
Past EMST Instructor and Course Director
Past Member of Victorian Trauma Committee
- Australian Association of Surgeons
Victorian State Committee Chairman 1994 - 1998
Federal President 1998 - 2001
- Spine Society of Australasia
Secretary 2007 - 2010
- Neurosurgical Society of Australasia: member
- Australian Orthopaedic Association: Affiliate member
- Melbourne Spinal Research Group: Convenor
10. Current Activities/positions
- Private neurosurgical practice with special interest in spine
- Director, Epworth Neurosciences Institute (2009- )
- President, Spine Society of Australia
- Provider of expert opinion for patients, lawyers, companies and government bodies on neurosurgical and spinal matters
« Back to profile main page